Friday, April 5, 2013

Creating a Plan

It's all well and good to SAY I want to be debt free. Yet, it is another thing to cash your paycheck and hold the money in your hand. Determination must be my middle name because I bought a granola bar and sparkling water fr breakfast and went to work.

I'm not using any set plan or reading a book that is currently helping me plan my journey into financial health. Honestly, I don't want to spend $30 to read a book to teach me how to save. However, the first two steps seem obvious to even this novice.
  • Create a personal budget.
My standard work week is 42.5hours. However the general pattern has been two weeks with very few hours and then two weeks of working 50hrs. So I planned my monthly budget at 32hrs a week. I overestimated my personal bills to account to give myself a little extra wiggle room. After adding the cost of daycare, student loans, cell phone, gas, Netflix and the other assortment of bills that I pay each month, I found I was able to save a whooping $-50 a month.
  • Decrease expenses
Since there is no way I can climb the ladder to financial security with a negative $50 a month saving habit I thought it would be a good time to decrease my personal expenses.
  1. Turn off my Netflix account [$20]
  2. Reduced gym membership and pay from my "fun money" [$65]
  3. Couponing for groceries [$200]
  4. Lower Energy Consumption [$40]
  5. End magazine and online subscriptions [$15]
  6. File a new W4 and claim the CORRECT # of exemptions [$100]
Saving $440 a month is like getting an extra weekly paycheck which is a great start to getting all of my bills current and paying off all of my debts. This plan relies on me cooking dinner since there would be no fast food. I have learned to coupon successfully in order to save money during times when I was unemployed. So I have a great confidence in my ability to cut my grocery bill in half each month.

I look forward to updating you on my shopping trip since I'm planning to go and fill my stockpile tomorrow morning. Generally I need 70-75% savings when couponing in order to maintain a full 50% by the end of the month. Spontaneous trips for taco seasoning, milk, eggs and bread add up by the end of the month.

Steps toward a better future!! Each small goal feels like I moved a mountain.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feel free to leave a few for ME!