Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tired of Waking up BROKE!

Last week I hit the snooze button (as usual) and rolled over (as usual) and even though I couldn't go back to sleep I just laid there in bed (as usual). I'm sure many of you have done the same thing. I laid there in bed thinking about all the things that needed to be done. Thinking about all the bills that were late and which bills should be paid this week since I didn't have the money for all of them. That is when I was spontaneously hit by a freight train. Well, thats what it felt like. Why is this so hard? Why am I constantly BROKE?

Partially a stupid question. I'm 24 years old and I have a 5 year old daughter. The rent needs to paid, the electric bill is ridiculously high. Child care is expensive and the cost of groceries makes me want to weep pathetic tears all over the cashier when I pay $70 for 3 bags of food. None of that is different from households all over the country. Gas isn't just expensive for me. I'm not paying the special Nayia rate that is $2/gal higher than everyone else.

As I hit the snooze button again and roll over, I realize I'm laying on my debt.

I'm young and occasionally Dumb. One of those dumb choices was to go to one of those high interest furniture buying places in order to buy a new bedroom set and mattress. My old bed was broken and barely better than sleeping on the floor. Even the frame was broken. The bed cost roughly $1200 after financing. The headboard, frame, dresser and night stands total about $2200 after financing. This bedroom set could never be sold for that amount by me! I could probably go to a Slumberland and walk out with this bedroom set during a sale and pay $850. Why didn't I? No credit or Bad credit. I only had $250 and a broken bed.

It would've been a much smarter choice to buy a thrift store frame and have a used bed steam cleaned with my $250.

I'm not struggling financially because I purchased a far overpriced bedroom set. It's the entire culture of buying things we don't need. It's the 2yr contract on my smartphone that cost $100/mo that I fear terminating because of the hefty fees involved. It's owning 3 flatscreen TVs and having them all on at different points during the night which constantly results in $200 electric bills. It's playing Call of Duty Black Ops II on my 52in TV with surround sound with my clan on Saturday's. How would I live without the multiplayer online gaming community? I certainly don't know what I would do if I had to do push ups at home, rather than at the gym in front of mirrors.

I like to think that I'm a smart girl. Smart enough to realize that 5 yrs from now I will roll over in bed and realize I'm still broke and that the cable bill is past due- again.

I don't want to work full time each week, only to receive my paycheck and still be broke.
So it's time for a change.
Maybe some of you will decide to change with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feel free to leave a few for ME!